Dell Senior Advisor, Service Delivery Hadoop, Greenplum, Big Data Engineer in Glen Allen, Virginia
We are looking for motivated individuals who enjoy working with state-of-the-art technology, can thrive in cross-functional environments and are inspired to learn new things in new ways. You will be part of a driven Big Data team that will define the direction for hosting and running mission critical and strategic cloud-based applications. With a primary focus on operations, support and ensuring security and integrity of Data environments, you will also provide support to developers who are consuming our data services.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage large scale Hadoop cluster environments, handling all Hadoop environment builds, including design, capacity planning, cluster setup, performance tuning and ongoing monitoring.
• Manage edge software such as HVR, Talend, and OBIEE including design, capacity planning, cluster setup, performance tuning, and ongoing monitoring.
• Manage Greenplum DB or Postgres including design, capacity planning, cluster setup, performance tuning, and ongoing monitoring.
• Evaluate and recommend systems software and hardware for the enterprise system including capacity modeling.
• Contribute to the evolving architecture of our data service to meet changing requirements for scaling, reliability, performance and manageability.
• Work with product engineering and infrastructure operation teams to automate deployment and operation of the infrastructure and data services.
• Ability to work with and as a member of our Infrastructure operations team as required to refine our production capabilities: testing, kernel issues, compatibility and deployment of new versions of custom software.
• Identify hardware and software technical problems, storage and/or related system malfunctions.
• Creation of metrics and measures of utilization and performance.
• Capacity planning and implementation of new/upgraded hardware and software releases.
• Responsible for monitoring the community and report on important changes/enhancements to the team.
• Ability to work well with a global team of highly motivated and skilled personnel – strong written and verbal interaction skills are requisites in this dynamic environment.
• Review and approve best practices and SOPs required to support the Hadoop, Greenplum, and Edge solutions.
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources, provide economies of scale, and simplify remote/global support issues.
• Strong background in Linux or Windows Administration.
• Perform other work related duties as assigned.
• 10 years of professional experience supporting production medium to large scale environments.
• 2 years of professional experience working with Hadoop (HDFS & MapReduce) and related technology stack.
• A deep understanding of Hadoop design principals, cluster connectivity, security and the factors that affect distributed system performance.
• Experience with and understanding of various database technologies: RDBMS, NoSQL, Hadoop, MySQL and Gemfire.
• Knowledge of virtualization technologies and concepts is a plus
• In-depth knowledge of network and distributed internet technologies including TCP/IP, firewalls, load balancers and web application architectures is a plus.
• Expert experience with at least one if not most of the following languages; python, perl, ruby, or bash.
• Prior experience with remote monitoring and event handling using Nagios, ELK.
• Solid ability to create automation with Chef, Puppet, Ansible or a shell.
• Good collaboration & communication skills, the ability to participate in an interdisciplinary team.
• Strong written communications and documentation experience
• Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
• Active Secret or higher clearance is a plus.
When you choose our company, you join a diverse world of innovative thought leaders. At our core is a commitment to workplace diversity, the sustainability of our planet, and community corporate involvement. We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities-all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.
Critical Hiring Criteria:
500 - VIRTUSTREAM
VA - Glen Allen, VA - Herndon, VA - McLean, VA - Reston, WI - Madison, WI - Pewaukee