Dell Software Principal Engineer - Cassandra in Warren, New Jersey
* Position is remote, home-based, virtualized *
Do you like to make things that scale? Do you enjoy the challenge of debugging and improving those things when they are already at scale? Our team works with some of the biggest companies on the planet to develop, build and operate distributed systems with millions of simultaneous users, and deal with data sets whose growth is currently measured in petabytes/day. Join a progressive, growing company with first-class benefits, unlimited vacation, competitive compensation, and more!
• Managing/Architecting large scale Cassandra metadata system
Configure backup and define automated disaster recovery procedures
Planning effective monitoring and setting up long term trending data for future tuning
• Planning and executing highly parallel distributed object storage transformations and migrations
• Participating in collaborative projects with small software engineering teams
• Develop automation, processes, and tools designed to make our services simpler and more robust
• Participate in troubleshooting, capacity planning and analysis, performance analysis activities
• Advise management on service onboarding strategies and execution
Critical Hiring Criteria
What we are looking for:
• Engineers who seek the kinds of challenges that scare most people. "Yeah, I did that!"
• Creativity, initiative and acute attention to detail
• Thirst for innovation and solving problems at lightning speed
• Passion for automating everything repetitive
• Obsession with software scalability and performance under high loads
• Love for using and contributing to open-source software
Please bring to the table:
• Deep understanding of Cassandra Architecture
• Experience tuning Java GC
Experience managing large Cassandra Cluster
Experience with Cassandra Data Modeling and performance tuning
Have spent 3+ years using Cassandra in development or operational settings.
Have made code and other contributions to the Apache Cassandra community.
Have spoken in public about Cassandra or related Big Data platforms.
• Experience working in distributed, remote teams across multiple time zones a plus
• Experience in large scale operations environments
• 5+ years of experience with Linux/Unix development or systems administration
• Ability to identify tasks which require automation and implement required automation
• Configuration Management tools experience with Puppet, Chef, SaltStack or CFEngine
• Hands-on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment - distributed systems, capacity planning, continuous deployment
• BA/BS in Computer Science preferred, or equivalent experience (advanced degrees preferred)
• Experience leading teams a plus
We have opportunities to work with and learn:
• Object Storage (e.g. ViPR, Swift)
• OpenStack core technologies
• HDFS and OpenTSDB
• Relational database technologies at large scale (e.g. Postgres)
When you choose our company, you join a diverse world of innovative thought leaders. At our core is a commitment to workplace diversity, the sustainability of our planet, and community corporate involvement. We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities-all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.
Critical Hiring Criteria:
Engineering - Software
500 - VIRTUSTREAM
CA - Burbank, CA - El Sagundo, CA - Irvine, CA - Pasadena, CA - Sunnyvale, CT - Fairfield, NJ - East Brunswick, NJ - Princeton, NJ - South Plainfield, NJ - Warren, NY - Melville, NY - New York, NY - Manhattan, NY - White Plains, WA - Bellevue, WA - Seattle